13 October 2012

Review: Path of Needles

Title & Author~ Path of Needles by Hannah Kollef

Publishing Type~ Self-published on October 12th, 2012
Reason for Reading~ Received in e-book format for review.   
Where to Purchase It~ Amazon ♦ 
Summary~ When 17-year-old Kat Finnegan is warned in a Brooklyn alleyway that her father is going to disappear, she shrugs and walks away. The next morning her father is gone--leaving behind a booby-trapped apartment and a mystery that has slept for a thousand years.

To get him back, Kat and her twin brother Roger will have to unravel the secrets behind the Rose Queen--the fairy queen who ripped apart reality and stitched it back together, transforming the Fey into the memories known as fairy tales. They will also have to come to grips with their emerging powers and discover why they are known to the magical world as "The Truth" and "The Lie."

Hunted by demons and treacherous Fey, Kat and Roger follow the Queen's trail from Manhattan to Newark. But neither the Queen nor her curse is what they expected, and more is at stake than their father's life--and theirs.

Path of Needles is the explosive first book in the Paths series: urban fantasies littered with deadly fairy tales, tangled romance, and heartbreaking betrayals.


On Characters~ Path of Needles was full of strong, well-developed characters. Take our MC, for example, Miss Kat Finnegan. She is relentless to help people--she's sarcastic, too, which many people these days can relate to (*cough* me *cough*). Jim and Roger were both equally important, too. These three characters are the type you won't forget about.

On Writing Style~ Kollef's writing style is overly descriptive. If anything, it's filled with more dialogue than description. Even if there a lot of talking between characters, she doesn't avoid painting portraits with words on things like the setting, the magical world Kat is sucked into, and more. Her words are beautiful. (It's like those creepy things from Harry Potter #3, the ones who suck up your fear--what are their names again?--only Kollef sucks away your breath because her fluid writing is astunding. Actually, that was a really bad example. And it doesn't help I can't think of those creepy things names. *headdesk*)

On Fantasy Element~ Like I said in my introduction, I'm not a super big fantasy fan because fantastical worlds never make sense to me. Either the author doesn't include enough information, or there is too much info in a few short pages. (GET YOUR WORD VOMIT AWAY FROM ME, BEAST!!) Kollef, I think, was in the not-enough section, but to be honest... I'm not certain of it because I couldn't fully wrap my head around this world Kat's brought into. I had to go back and reread. But maybe that's because I'm stupid. Heck, you'll probably understand it better than me. Don't let me dissuade you from reading it.

On Everything Else~ The ending was just asdfghjkl; THERE ARE NO WORDS FOR THE MADNESS. I AM IN LOVE AND HEARTBROKEN. (*sings* When you're dreaming with a broken heart...) *cue Regina George* I just can't... whatever. (You Mean Girls lovers will understand the previous sentence.)

All in All~ Kollef created a beautiful book. Although I didn't full comprehend the fantasy world, I still adored it. You! People of earth! Go read it! I gave you the Amazon link, didn't I? *wags finger* Yes, I did. Now, go read. It's very cheap. (The price, I mean.)

4/5 stars.






1 lovelies:

Gianne said...

Thank you for reviewing my book! So glad you liked the ending :) Also, 100 magic points for an excellent Mean GIrls reference.

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.