31 March 2012

Review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Book: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 487
Source: Bought on the Kindle
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

How do you defy destiny?

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is--no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together--and trying to tear them apart.

For a whoppin' near 500 pages, Starcrossed is a fantastic start to what seems like a great series.


One of my favorite parts of this book was the mythology. I really loved the way Josephine incorporated something what could have been cliche but turned it into something entirely original. I personally haven't read enough Greek mythology books, but so far, this one has to be by far one of my favorites. :)

Despite the fact it was told in third-person narrative, I felt so connected to Helen, Lucas, and the rest of the characters. They were so fun to read about! Even if they had a huge role or not in the story, they each left a good lasting impression on me. Their personalities are so vibrant and they each have their own trademark characteristics, it's practically impossible to forget about them!

I usually enjoy first-person narratives, but Starcrossed has made me wonder about that. Josephine was such a wonderful storyteller, it was really nice to see the perspective from a variety of different characters. Unlike other books where it's choppy and abrupt, I really liked how smooth and flawless the transitions were for the POVs.

The plot was oh so very good. There were many twists and turns, with each chapter making me want to read the next and the next and the next till I've practically devoured the book! The action was fast-paced and exciting, and the romance, even though it wasn't a huge part in the book, was really well-played. I loved the chemistry between Helen and Lucas, how they built their relationship with each other from nothing into something so powerful and strong. (All the Delos boys are so adorable too, why can't they be real?!)

The ending wasn't too shabby either. There's been a lot of foreshadowing towards the end of the book, and I cannot wait to see how Josephine plays it all out. Unfortunately for me, the sequel doesn't come out till May. The good news is it's May 2012! Oh Dreamless, you'll be in my grasps soon enough!

With magnificent story telling, a action-packed plot with twists that will keep you on your toes, and a insta-love free romance that's sure to make anyone swoon, Starcrossed is one book you do not want to miss! ♥





0 lovelies:

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.