09 July 2011

Review: The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Spoiler FREE Book Review.
This book was won through a contest.


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart. 


I remember I had won a contest on the blogosphere (long ago before I had a blog) and I decided to order The Iron King. I wanted to change my order because I saw a way cooler book than TIK so I asked the nice blogger if she could change it. Unfortunately, the deed had already been done and she already ordered the book. I was, of course, disappointed. I didn't really want to read this book after I saw that cool looking book. Oh barnacles... In the end, I say, "Thank GOODNESS it was too late to change the order." To be honest, I was a little iffy at first, seeing how it was my first book about the Fey (Fae?). When I thought of fairies, I thought of the tooth fairy and leaning a little on Tinkerbell (but I'm pretty sure she's a pixie). How could I take a book seriously when a girl falls in love with a FAIRY?

Well enough rambling, time to get on with the review!

Now having read a few other books about the fey, I find it common to see the Summer and Winter Court, etc. etc. etc.... The one Julie Kagawa had created was simply magnificent. The Nevernever is such a beautiful world, I can't even begin to describe it. Julie has this way of just sucking you in like a vacuum to practically feel, see, and hear this wonderful land that she delivered to us. I'm beginning to feel that Julie has some magic powers... I mean, this writing is just gorgeous! It takes my breath away, from the fighting scenes to Puck's hilarious comments to the shocking twists to Meghan's and Ash's forbidden romance, what more can a girl ask for?

What totally kept me going was not just the breathtaking Nevernever, the fantastical characters, but Meghan's and Ash's doomed love. The romance scenes, I'll say, aren't hot and heavy. I like hot and heavy romances to be honest. It spices up the book! However, the brief romantic moments Ash and Meghan had were anything but boring. I could feel their emotions, wants, desires to be together through their small yet intimate interactions, knowing it's impossible for their love to ever become real.

Perhaps my review was a bit jumbled, but let me give it to you short and sweet --- I love this book to pieces. It's way too amazing, and it's a DEFINITE must read.

Rating: 5+ Stars ★+

4 lovelies:

Steph @ The Caffeinated Reader said...

I'm reading this one right now! I hope I love it as much as you do :) I'm only 2 chapters in.

I'm a new follower - love your blog design.

Steph
www.the-caffeinated-reader.blogspot.com

Gianne said...

Thanks, Steph :D Yeah, The Iron King is such an amazing book! I'm nearly finished with its sequel, The Iron Daughter!

Unknown said...

I've just finished it^^
You are right, It's amazing! I love it! I'm reading 'The Iron Daughter' right now :D

Gianne said...

Definitely (: I finished The Iron Daughter! Review coming up soon!

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.