Links: Goodreads | Amazon
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.
Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
His life depends on it.
Before I start my letter, I would like just like to say to you all: OH SWEET GOD. THIS BOOK MADE ME FEEL. This was such a gorgeously written book, a true hidden gem in the endless plains of generically made YA. People should know more about this book. FORREAL. *calms down, takes a deep breath*
Dear Ms. Creagh,
I'm at a loss for words. What can I say? Well, I know I can say thank you. Thank you for writing this amazing novel, which picked me up when I was in a tough time. It helped me escape the troubles and sorrows that was tying me down to this world. Needless to say, I was incredibly entranced by your writing and just the whole story itself.
I would also like to say a few things:
- I also loved the characters you created, especially Isobel and Varen.
- Isobel was such a well written heroine. Her personality and determination shined in this book, and I found it very admirable. I would love to meet this girl in real life!
- Varen, on the other hand, was weaved with intricacies that made him a complex and swoon worthy character nonetheless.
- I loved how I couldn't just label him as a good or bad boy; he was his own personal brand of loveliness. ♥
- The dreamlike world you breathed life to was deliciously creepy and fascinating.
- I completely admire with all of the world building you have done in this book. I expected something rather simple, but you absolutely blew me away!
- I was haunted by the lush, morbid depictions of this dark phantasm with its grotesque creatures, and yet, I absolutely loved every second of it.
- I absolutely adore how the romance was crafted in this book.
- Slow burning and steadily growing best describes how you wrote the romance in this book. The romantic tension between Varen and Isobel was laid on thick, which had my heart pounding and me squealing like a little girl.
- This is a how romance should be written, and I thank you once more for not making me have to put up with another over saturated, instant love that was heated in a microwave for five seconds.
Oops, I ended making my letter longer than I originally intended! Ending on that note, I'm in (author) love with you and your writing, Ms. Creagh, and I look forward to reading the sequel and the rest of your future works. ♥