15 October 2011

Review: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon

Book: Carrier of the Mark by Leigh Fallon
Pages: 342
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: ARC (Thanks to Michael!)
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

Their love was meant to be.

When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRís.

But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction.
Carrier of the Mark was an enjoyable, although predictable, read for me with its refreshing mythology that makes it stand out in the sea of angels, vampires, werewolves, etc.

 The writing was nice, not very exceptional yet not incredibly horrible. None of the characters particularly stood out to me, except perhaps Aine. I loved her quirky character, but even at times she fell flat for me too. I loved the mythology however. It was probably one of the best things that I loved about this book.

The romance could have been developed more. Insta-love screamed throughout the whole book between Megan and Adam. The kisses throughout the book weren't very meaningful or heart-pounding as they were so often. If you know me, you know I love meaningful kisses or romantic yet tense moments (I'm talking about you, Iron Fey series!) because they make me have that swoony-lovey filled feeling which makes go have girlish squeals. This book hardly contained any of that, except perhaps for just one of the kisses.

The ending did wrap up pretty nicely after following an action-packed (but once again, predictable) conclusion. There will be a sequel, which I will be on the lookout for. I want to see where Megan and Adam will take me and if the sequel will be even more better than its predecessor.

In all, the book has potential. It was good, but it could have been better.

Rating: 3.7 Stars
Cover: It's pretty but nothing incredibly special. I do like the dress though. It's gorgeous. 3.9/5 Stars.

4 lovelies:

Kristan said...

I'm just like you, I tend to have outbursts of squeels or giggles when I read a particularly good kissing scene. I'm disappointed that this book didn't invoke the same reaction for you. I have it on my shelf right now, but perhaps I'll leave it for a rainy day. I holding out that the mythology will suck me in and help me look past the abundance of kisses.

Kristan @ Lost Amongst the Shelves

Gianne said...

Hopefully... :( I do hope you enjoy it though more than I did!

Unknown said...

hello

new follower, nice blog!!!

kcs-books.blogspot.com

Mimi Valentine said...

Ohh, I really wanted to read this one! I'm a huge fan of mythology so that was enough to sell the book to me! :)

It's too bad you didn't like it as much as you hoped! I totally agree that insta-love is never as much fun to read as a beautifully developed romance (and I love that you mentioned Meghan and Ash from The Iron Fey -- because every time they were together, I was swooning off my feet!).

Awesome review, Gianna! I hope that the sequel holds more of a WOW factor for you! :)

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.