01 October 2011

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Book: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Pages: 476
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Source: Library
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

So, I must admit, I'm not much of a fan of The Mortal Instruments series... *Ducks behind a gigantic rock for cover against the crazy fan attacks* I did like the first book, but I lost interest midway into the second book about a year ago. However, a certain book called Clockwork Angel managed to catch my eye at the library lately, and just for the heck of it, I rented it to see if my interest in the Shadowhunters could be rekindled.



In case you're wondering, it was most definitely rekindled.


I loved this book, plain and simple. The beginning pulls you in, wasting no time and heading straight into the mysterious world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders. This book was fast-paced, exciting, page-turning, breath taking, heart pounding, you name it! 

This book is set in third person point of view, and I usually hate reading books like this. I don't get to bond with the main character as well, and on and on and on. Tessa's POV is usually told throughout the book with bits of other characters like Will and such. I was able to enjoy Tessa's character just as much as I could have in first person and the transitions to other characters like Will and Charlotte made this book even more enjoyable to read.  


The prose in this book is elegant and smooth. The way everything was described from the lively streets of London to Will's gorgeous eyes was beautiful. I also adored the characters from spunky Tessa to haughty Jessamine to delicate yet strong Jem. The romance in this story was definitely one of my favorite parts in this story, especially the attic scene! Oh how I love Will, despite him being a donkey half the time.


The ending wraps up some of the questions in the overall story, but leaves some room for the sequel which comes out in December 2011! Yipppeeee! *does a happy dance*


Rating: 5+ Stars. Yes THAT'S RIGHT. FIVE PLUS STARS.
Cover: It's amazing! The colors blend in beautifully with each other, and I love how whoever designed this cover also incorporated bits of clockwork and such (since this book IS steampunk) as well as the beautiful London background. The guy on there isn't half bad as well. ;)

3 lovelies:

Unknown said...

My dear... we have opposite book tastes. How odd. I thought this book was a bit ok. Steampunkery was great but the characters felt straight from City of Bones for me... pending different names.

Mad Scientist

Mandy said...

I've only read the first book, and I loved it. I need to re-read it and continue on with the series. I've had this on my list for a while, but haven't gotten to it yet. Boo! But I will soon.

Great review! Thank you so much for sharing.

ham1299 said...

This was one of my FAVORITE books last year. I cannot wait for Clockwork Prince!

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.