16 April 2012

Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Book: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 485
Source: For review (Thanks to Harlequin Teen and Netgalley!)
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.

I was excited and completely nervous when I found out that Julie, the phenomenal writer of the Iron Fey series, was writing a vampire series. The Iron Fey series is pure fun and whimsy at its best from the enchanting Nevernever to the well-written and humorous characters. In case you haven't noticed, vampires are not fun and whimsy...at all. I had high expectations for this book and Julie didn't just reach them...she went over and beyond!


The Immortal Rules is dark, gritty, and will leave you breathless with all the action scenes and twists in the plot line. I really enjoyed the characters, especially Allie! Allie definitely knows how to kick butt with her awesome weapon (which I shall not reveal). I also loved how she opened herself up more when she became a vampire to others as opposed to when she was human and focused only the bare necessity: to live.

I also enjoyed the world building. The idea of the vampire caste, the Fringe, just everything! I have never read a vampire dystopian till now and everything about this book was just unique.

Zeke is also a wonderful love interest. He's different from the usual batch of bad boys in the YA jungle, as he's actually one of the good boys but he fights for what's good and can totally kick some rabids' ass! The romance isn't one of the main aspects of the book, but the moments between just Allie and Zeke were just cute!

In all, The Immortal Rules is a great start to what seems to be a gripping trilogy filled with breakneck-paced action packed fights, beautiful prose, and a blossoming forbidden romance in this bleak setting where people, whether they be human or perhaps vampire, struggle to keep their humanity.

--------------------

P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway celebrating my near 200 followers :) It's out of this world! Win IMMORTAL RULES, Masque, and more! ♥ It's also absolutely INTERNATIONAL (granted The Book Depository ships to your country!) Click the button below to enter!





6 lovelies:

Emily Blake said...

Omg I am SOOOOOO jelous you got an arc. I want to read this book so bad!!

Reve @ YA Books said...

I just got my ARC of The Immortal Rules, and I'm super excited to get into it. I love the idea of a vampire caste system, and I can't wait to see how the novel unfolds. Great review and thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I LOVED The Immortal Rules, too. It was creepy, but I didn't even care! The book was so awesome I couldn't stop reading. Just by reading your review I want to reread it again.

I also read and adored her Fey series, so you can imagine my excitement when I heard she was writing about vampires. Vampires! And that's only the first book; that means there's more awesomeness to come! *--*

Great review, Gianna! I hope we both don't die from the wait until the next one comes out :D

Gianne said...

@Emily: You will LOVE it! TIR was awesome.

@Reve: Enjoy it :) It's really great, one of the best vampire books I've read in a while.

@Sophie: Ahhh, you love the Fey series too? Mega win! So glad we're friends :) And I know, the wait will be forever! xD

Linny said...

I read this one recently and I agree with everything you said! So wonderfully gritty and action-packed. I too loved the world-building, it was really amazing. Can't wait for the next book, which is really sad since this one isn't even out yet haha! Thanks for the review. :)

P.S. I'm a new follower here! *waves*

Michelle said...

Awesome review, Gianna! The Immortal Rules sounds awesome. I will be adding it to my TBR! Lovely giveaway as well. :)

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.