30 April 2012

Review: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Book: Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 464
Source: Review copy
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

What if there were teens whose lives depended on being bad influences? This is life for sons and daughters of fallen angels in Sweet Evil.

Tenderhearted Southern girl, Anna Whitt, was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage, and her will-power is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

A cross-country trip to meet her father forces Anna to face the reality that hope and love are not options for her kind. When she confronts her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

At a glance, Sweet Evil seems like another young adult paranormal romance book. And to be honest, it is... but Sweet Evil is just so much more than that! It's completely amazing and I'm pretty sure this review will not do any justice to how much praise this book truly deserves.

One of my favorite things about Sweet Evil is the world building. She took a very simple, basic concept and twisted it into something brand new and refreshing! Throughout the book, I couldn't help but think, "What if this actually happens in real life?" I've read quite a few angel/demon books, each having their own little twist in the mythology and such, but the mythology in this book just takes the cake! Originality is best, as always.

Anna, our heroine of Sweet Evil, is a very likeable character. She doesn't spend over half of the book whining about her problems, and even though she does break down when things get bad, she doesn't let herself stay in a rut which is a plus in my book! The set of characters in Sweet Evil are all well-written, each unique and different from each other. My favorite character was probably Kai. He is absolutely swoon-worthy in every right, and words just cannot describe. ♥

Plot wise? Sweet Evil was actually really good. It kept me engaged after it hooked me from page one! I couldn't stop reading this book and when I had to stop, Sweet Evil lingered on my mind, begging me to pick it up again. Now, that is book addiction. There was a good number of surprises that I didn't see coming, which I loved.

Now, now, last but not least, the sexy times. Prior to reading this book, I expected a fluffy read with over saturated romance but it's quite the opposite. Although I felt the romance scenes were quite fewer than I had expected the book to have, they were incredibly sensual and most definitely made my heart race. To say sparks fly between Kai and Anna is an understatement. There is a burning inferno between these two and it has no traces of insta-love! Kai and Anna are definitely one of my favorite couples of 2012.

The ending is heart wrenching (well, at least, in my opinion it was!) and in it's own way, an evil evil cliffhanger. It leaves me dying to wonder what's going to happen between our starcrossed lovers!

Sweet Evil is one of the best written love stories I have read in a long time, with a dark plot and a brilliant set of characters as well as a delectable relationship that had me rooting from the start!




P.S. Be sure to enter my giveaway celebrating my near 200 followers :) It's out of this world! Win IMMORTAL RULES, Masque, and more! ♥ It's also absolutely INTERNATIONAL (granted The Book Depository ships to your country!) Click the button below to enter!






7 lovelies:

Becky said...

When I watched the trailer my first rection was "Cheesy". However after all the reviews it is getting it doesn't seem that way and now I really want to read it :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Cindy said...

You wrote an amazing review here and it makes me want to pick up this book RIGHT NOW! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy :)

I look forward to gushing about this book later on when I finally read it :)

Emily Blake said...

I really really have to get a copy of this book. Not only is the cover amazing, but all the 5-star reviews are pretty much screaming at me to buy this book. I probably will eventually ;p

Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaah, I'm dying to read it!! I couldn't wait anymore and I preordered it. It was shipped last week I'm wishing and crossing my fingers that it will arrive this week. SOOOO have to read it as soon as it gets here.

Lovely review! Now you've succeeded in making me even more eager to read it. I'm excited to read that amazing love story you mentioned :D

Unknown said...

Amazing review, Gianna! <3 I finally have this book on my shelf, and I can't wait to start reading it! After reading your review, I know that it will be a freakin amazing read! Dark plot, brilliant set of characters, and delectable relationship? YUM!! <3

Sarah@Catching Books said...

Great review!! This book sounds awesome and I can't wait to read it :D

Erica said...

I just LOVED this one - it seriously was just amazing :)

Post a Comment

I love your comments, guys. I truly appreciate them. :3 ♥

If you guys are using Blogger to comment here, DON'T. I use Disqus commenting, so the comment will NOT show up if you use Blogger to comment.