Hello all! My blog is the first stop on the Wake blog tour! I hope you enjoy the review and if you stick around to the end, you can go enter a giveaway to win an ARC of Wake!
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Source: Review copy for blog tour
Links: Goodreads | Amazon
Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back. Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.
Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.
I knew right off the bat that I was going to adore this book! As I have read Hocking's previous works (specifically, Hollowland and Hollowmen) and really liked them, this one is yet another addition to the list!
I'VE BEEN AWAKEN TO REALIZE THAT THERE ARE AWESOME MERMAID READS
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I came up with yet ANOTHER cheesy title header for my review.
- Enchanting and mesmerizing is one way to put it for Hocking's storytelling.
- SERIOUSLY. The storytelling is smooth and almost lyrical; it had me turning pages ravenously as if I couldn't get enough! This book was definitely a real treat to savor and enjoy.
- Don't you just love it when you can relate to characters?
- I was just giddy and smiling throughout the whole book because Gemma is a SWIMMER. (Psst! I'm a swimmer too!) I also really liked Gemma as a character. Strong and passionate about her goals and those she loves is definitely a winning quality in a heroine.
- While she is strong and passionate, she could also be very...headstrong as well. It was frustrating for me to see Gemma make really dumb decisions (Which was like, two! She's actually very clever) and it just felt like the author was trying to create tension and drama out of nowhere.
- Of course Gemma doesn't hog all of the spotlight! Harper was an equally awesome character.
- The way she's so loyal and protective of her sister is really admirable! I feel the exact same way for my siblings, so I can say that I have an inkling of what she feels.
- TWO swoon worthy love interests obviously amounts to double YAYs!
- And the best best best thing is...it's not a love triangle! Each of our girls have their own love interests and their own love problems. <3
- While Gemma and Alex's relationship with each other was sweet and fuzzy, I enjoyed Daniel and Harper's relationship a lot more! WITTY BANTER GALORE. Daniel, in all, is just a really great secondary character. He's charming and sweet and buff with tattoos! YUM.
- This book is not your typical mermaid read.
- Or, well, maybe it is? This is my first mermaid read after all. Anyways, the point is that Wake has very interesting lore, one that I absolutely loved learning about!
- I can't say anymore (unless you guys LOVE spoilers), but it felt definitely original and I can't wait to learn more in the next book.
Rules, rules, rules!
- U.S. only. (UGH, I know. It sucks butt that it's not international.)
- You've got to be at least 13 years old to enter.
- Giveaway will end on August 17 at 12:01 AM EST.
Well, get at it, folks! :) I know y'all want an ARC of this dazzling beauty named Wake! ;D
a Rafflecopter giveaway